In case you’ve ever wondered what motherboard do I have in my system, we have listed down fast and easy methods for you to check your motherboard information. We have evaluated all possible options and narrowed down the following methods particularly for non – technical persons.
The easiest and most reliable method is using:
Through Windows Command Prompt
- Open the Windows Start Menu and type “cmd” on the search bar.
- Click on “Command Prompt”
- In the command prompt type: “wmic baseboard get product,manufacturer,version,serialnumber” and press enter
- It will show relevant details of the motherboard
Ensure that you enter space only where required. There is no space from “product…..” onward.
There are other methods to check what motherboard you have, if you want to check see below. Additionally if you are using Ubuntu, mac OS we have listed methods for that as well.
Few more tools can do this similar task to identify computer motherboard information but CPU-Z is the best and easiest to use.
Through CPU-Z Software [ 3rd Party Tool]
- Open this link https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html on your web browser
- Download CPU-Z from the website. CPU-Z is free to download and use
- When it is downloaded, install by double clicking the file that was downloaded
- Open it from its shortcut on the desktop or Start menu
- Then go to the “Mainboard” tab on top of the window
- In the Mainboard tab, you will see the “Motherboard” section
- In this tab, you will see the manufacturer and the model number
Through the Windows System Information
- In Windows, press “Windows Key + R” to launch Run
- In Run, type the command “msinfo32” [without quotes]
- Press enter launch “System Information”
- In System Information, you will see the “System Summary”
- On the left side of the window, you will see the complete information about your computer
- You will see the required information next to “System Manufacturer” and “System Model”
If you have a laptop or PC built by companies like HP or Dell, you may not be able to see the motherboard information through this method because it will only tell you the model number of your computer.
But other assembled PCs will have no trouble finding information about the mainboard you have in Windows 10. This method works without the installation of any 3rd party applications.
What Motherboard Do I have in Ubuntu?
If you need to find the Motherboard model of your system from the terminal or command line and you do not want to take off the case, there is a program that comes with Ubuntu by default that can do this. It is known as “dmidecode”.
- If you do not have “dmidecode”, you can install it with this command in most Debian based distributions: Sudo apt-get install dmidecode
- Once the program is installed, find out your logic board model using this command: sudo dmidecode – s baseboard-product-name
- To find more details about your logic board, run this command: sudo dmidecode-t baseboard
Identifying A Mac’s Motherboard
Apple is known to quite secretive when it comes to revealing the hardware specification information. To determine your motherboard’s model or serial number, you’ll need to use the mac logic boards. But to do this you will require an iMac serial number.
You can find the iMac serial number through the About This Mac option which is located in the Apple icon menu. Once clicked, The Apple icon can be found in the top right corner of your screen
- Double click the version to obtain the serial number
- With the serial number acquired, navigate to this website and enter it in. You’ll be able to preview your Mac’s information including the motherboard
So now that you know what motherboard do you have, you can proceed with your planned upgrade for different PC parts like CPU, GPU ( Graphic card), RAM etc.
However, there are various things to consider before you start your upgrades. We have listed down a few important things to check for CPU upgrade.
- Manufacturer Compatibility: There are two manufacturers of CPU for desktop computers, Intel and AMD. Both offer a broad range of CPUs with varying speeds and specifications and both can run on any operating systems. But these two CPUs are completely incompatible from a hardware standpoint and require different motherboards.
- Socket Compatibility: There are many types of CPU sockets evolved over the last two decades but currently only 3 types are relevant
- LGA: Land grid array consists of a socket with pins that you place the processor on which simply means pins are located on the socket of the motherboard and not on the CPU. Intel CPUs use LGA socket
- PGA: Pin grid array places the pins on the processor instead of the socket.
- BGA: Also known as ball grid array, in this method the processor is permanently attached to the motherboard during manufacturing, which makes it impossible to upgrade the CPU
Although Intel and AMD uses LGA and PGA socket respectively it does not mean that all CPUs for respective manufacturer are compatible.
LGA sockets have different variations and named based on the number of pins on the socket. e.g. LGA2066 has 2066 pins.
While Intel has number based approach, AMD on the other hand uses broad names such as AM3 and AM4.
Although both companies offer compatibility for multiple generations of CPUs, you need to check the compatibility of your planned new CPU with the existing type and variation of the CPU socket.
- RAM (Memory) Compatibility: Different types of CPUs are optimized to work with a specific type of memory like DDR3/DDR4. Older motherboards are equipped with DDR3 RAM sockets while newer motherboards have newer and faster DDR4 RAM sockets. Before selecting the CPU you need to ensure that it is compatible with existing RAM.
- Chipset Compatibility: A chipset is a set of electronic components that manages the data flow between the processor, memory, and peripherals. Chipsets are usually found on the motherboard and play a crucial role in system performance. So only upgrading your CPU may not result in faster performance unless the chipset and other components also keep up the pace with the newer version.
- CPU Cooler: When looking to upgrade to a new CPU usually requires installing a new CPU cooler. The older version of the cooler might fit the newer CPU but its recommended to use CPU cooler that comes with the retail-boxed processor or to choose an aftermarket CPU cooler.
Make sure to inspect the area around your motherboard surrounding the CPU socket to make sure its not covered or blocked. And ensure that the TDP(Thermal Design Power) value of the cooler should be higher than the TDP of your CPU.
- PSU: In most of the older systems the power supply unit already installed would hardly be able to run older components including CPU. It is expected that newer processors that are faster and are of higher specification will usually require more power. In most cases installing a newer and faster processor will also require installing a higher-capacity power supply unit.
Whether to upgrade your existing power supply while upgrading CPU or not is a matter of judgment call based on systems performance. If your existing power supply is of a good brand and has adequate wattage to run your upgraded system then buying a new power supply is not necessary. After installation of the new processor, your system fails to boot or crashes frequently then it is advisable that you also upgrade your power supply unit which will adequate to the required wattage of the new system.
- BIOS: In most cases, a motherboard can support a much faster processor than is currently installed but it does require a BIOS update to do so. Prior to starting an upgrade, check the website of the motherboard manufacturer to find the latest BIOS update available for that motherboard.
Verify and cross-check the BIOS release notes to determine whether that BIOS version supports the processor you plan to upgrade to. You need to update your BIOS version to the one required for the new processor before you unmount and remove your old processor or else your new system will not boot after installing the new CPU.
What's the difference between DDR3 and DDR4? In the DDR3 VS DDR4 RAM comparisons, the maximum memory of the DDR3 RAM is 16 GB, whereas that of the DDR4 is 64GB(Per DIMM). While...
When will GTA 6 be released? On what PlayStation will it be released? A lot of people go online in search of answers to these questions. Why? GTA is a game title that has proven to be a game that...